Sunday, March 30, 2014

Cheddar Bacon Biscuits

Biscuits, muffins, baked goods, healthy foods, high protein, modified paleo, no sugar, no dairy, no preservatives
Cheddar Bacon Biscuits
Hello everybody welcome back! I have recently had a request for some healthy desert recipes which I will be working on in the future here. However for now I present to you my Cheddar Bacon Biscuit recipe.

These delicious biscuits are packed with protein and loaded with so many healthy goodies they can even be a meal in themselves (they are very filling). I like to serve them for breakfast with a smoothie or for dinner as the entree with a side salad and fruit. I found this recipe in a magazine and I gave it an over haul from just a traditional cheddar biscuit recipe... now they do not contain gluten, cows milk, sugars or preservatives. I added bacon (because everybody loves bacon right???) for added protein plus I eliminated scallions and replaced them with green onions.

I love to take every day recipes and change out all of the ingredients I do not eat and replace them with ingredients I do eat, this is where the food experimentation comes in, usually it takes a couple of tries of a recipe to get it just right but this one came out perfect the first time around!

Prep time is 15 min.
Cook time is 30 min.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees with rack in the middle.

Ingredients:

1 stick cold butter plus a little extra to grease the pan with (cut into pieces)
2 cups rice flour
2 cups almond flour
4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
2 cups grated cheddar cheese
3 green onions sliced and chopped thin
1 Tbsp dried dill
2 1/4 cup rice milk
4 Tbsp raw shelled pumpkin seeds
2 eggs
5 pieces of bacon (the bacon I use is from New Seasons Market and is nitrate free and is cured with honey instead of sugar)

Directions:

1. Grease 10 cups of a large muffin tin
2. Cook the bacon
3. Mix the two flours together and work butter into the flours with your fingers; the consistency should be grainy, with some large lumps of butter
4. Add the cooked bacon, cheddar cheese, green onion, dried dill, rice milk and eggs, mix well. (Dough will feel a little sticky or wet and that is okay). Divide batter among muffin cups, evenly distribute the pumpkin seeds on the top of each biscuit.
5. Bake until biscuits are golden and a tooth pick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 30 minutes.
6. Cool on a wire rack before serving.







No comments:

Post a Comment